Following the theme of our sermon series, The Making of a Superhero, this week we are honoring Resurrection’s volunteers who serve as superheroes in our own congregation.
Meet Jim Crumpler, a volunteer congregational care minister. Jim has been serving in this role since the beginning of the year.
How did you initially get involved in the Congregational Care Ministry?
Jim: I first heard about this three years ago when I went through a few storms in my own life. I was smart enough to read the bulletin and saw that there was a Congregational Care pastor assigned to me. I reached out and got some help. That’s how I learned about Congregational Care ministry. Later on, I decided I wanted to give back to that ministry.
How often do you volunteer as a Congregational Care minister?
Jim: It varies but it is not uncommon to do 2 to 3 days a week. My time is spent probably 60 percent in hospitals and the other 40 percent is mentoring men going through life issues.
Do you have a typical process that you go through when visiting someone in a hospital?
Jim: After the patient gets prepped for the surgery, I will go back with them and introduce myself. I just find out something about the person and what’s going on in his or her life. It is mainly a matter of putting that person at ease and bringing that Christ presence at that time. We will usually gather around and I will pray. When somebody is in the hospital we try to generally have someone to see them every day. You can find out if they are anxious about something and try to calm those fears.
How has your faith grown through this ministry?
Jim: I have gotten a lot better at praying. I used to have the normal affliction at the end of the meeting looking down hoping I didn’t get called on to say the closing prayer. I finally learned to look to the spirit to tell me what to say and now I am very comfortable.
Do have a favorite piece of scripture you use at a hospital visit?
Jim: I have worn out Philippians 4:6-7 in my own life when going through anxiety. I also use those verses when I go on hospital visits. The scripture states:
6 Don’t be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. 7 Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus.
What’s been the most beneficial aspect of getting involved in this ministry?
Jim: I guess the thing that is most helpful to me is to get connected to see how God is working around me and then get involved. What I do is let the decision process be left up to God. I just pray and let him direct me. If you are a caring person or an encourager there are unlimited opportunities in the Congregational Care ministry program to help a lot of people in this church.